24.2.08

Uncle!


OK, OK, February. You win. You officially kicked our ass this month. My little frugality campaign was no match for the gale force of your ill intent. I surrender.
Now maybe we can pick up whatever remains of us emotionally and physically after the travels, and the funerals and the viruses and hospitals and just quietly limp away to wait for March to come roaring in.

The Buy (almost) Nothing campaign came to a crashing halt the day we bought last-minute tickets to Wisconsin. We went home to bid goodbye to a good friend who lost her battle with breast cancer. We spent a week back home just taking solace in the good community there, reminding ourselves of everything waiting for us when we get back this summer. Sharing some good time with good friends.

Sharing other things, too. Like, oh I don't know, secrets, wine, tenacious viruses. As if flipping us a callous middle finger, February sent me back to Montreal with a feverish baby who proceeded to basically lie on the floor and whimper for an entire week. Not that I really noticed, I was too busy lying in bed whimpering. Jake was trying to keep it all together and my extended family acted as backup reinforcements and general harpies. They made soup and said things like "oh, that doesn't sound good" and bugged us to go "do something" for the kid. Like get antibiotics. You know, so we can treat that virus.

Sigh. So I daresay we might be coming out the other end of this onslaught now. It was brilliant and sunny today and I took a walk with Milo in the backpack in the forest and it felt so rejuvenating. My lungs threw the windows open and shook out their stagnant bed linens. We had a family nap in a sunny corner of the living room afterwards which was beautiful beyond words. And this little bean joined our planet last week, and that made me really happy. I've been excited to meet him for some time.

No comments: